Countyline Dragway Is Now Closed Indefinitely

Captain Ben

Hypermiler
Staff member
We knew this day was coming and it has finally happened, Countyline Dragway is now closed after providing South Florida a venue to drift at for over 6 years. The track posted the following on their Facebook page yesterday announcing the news:

UPDATE: Well everybody, this is a sad day for Countyline Dragway.. I regret to tell you that were closed indefinitely at the current location. On behalf of myself, my family, and all the employees we'd like to thank all the racers, fans, Commissioner Jose "Pepe" Diaz, Miami-Dade County and our sponsors for over 7 great years of dragracing at our facility. It turns out the rock mining will take place very soon so I'm working on a location nearby to open a state of the art motorsports park and appreciate all your support. As soon as we have some concrete information I'll update everyone. This will not be the end of a safe place to dragrace in south Florida. I'm also checking with other tracks to do a Countyline Tribute race and will keep you all posted. Thank You, Tony Munoz CLDW

Countyline Dragway was primarily known for it's 1/8 mile dragstrip when it opened it's doors in 2007. At the time only Moroso (Now known as Palm Beach International Raceway) featured a dragstrip in the tri-county area. Considering the distance that was needed to travel to Moroso, many opted to race on the streets. Thus it was a major news event when word got out that a dragstrip was set to open in South Florida. Some frowned upon the 1/8 mile, but that didn't deter the thousands that came out to the inaugural event to witness what the new venue had to offer. Countyline Dragway proved to be a success and local drag racers now had a place to call home.

No one considered Countyline to be a drift venue until Tim Murphy ( @hachi ) came along. Asking members of this site for their feedback, Tim set out to contact the track owners to organize a meeting. Many doubted him as he was relatively unknown to everyone but he put their doubts to rest when he announced he needed drivers for a track test. Giacomo Gaviola ( @The Redline 03 ) and Erick Mahle ( @rwdrift ) answered the call as they utilized the Skidpad to demonstrate what was possible:

With the track owners content on what they saw, they got together with Tim to setup the first drift event at Countyline Dragway and the rest was history.

Countyline may not have been the best venue for drifting, but overall it provided a fun layout for everyone. Rookies used it to start their careers, veterans used it to advance their skills, and pros used it as a testing ground. Attracting all those drivers allowed spectators to witness some of the best drifting they have ever seen. From the most spectacular crashes to the most memorable tandems, Countyline delivered the entertainment. And thankfully some of the most talented photographers and videographers were there to capture it all.

None of it would have been possible if it weren't for all the staff who volunteered their time to make it happen. It's no easy task to get up early in the morning to setup the track, run the event, and clean up afterwards. Nor is it easy to endure the extreme conditions the weather placed on everyone. But they dealt with it for the love of the sport.

Everyone who made Countyline what it is today should be proud of themselves. It wasn't the best track out there but we made the best out of it and had fun in the process. The support from everyone in the drift community has prompted the track owner Tony to announce a new venue featuring a drift track. It's a testament to how important it is to support your local tracks because without doing so, I doubt he would've been so motivated to build a track for us. As the saying goes, "when one door closes, another one opens" and we should all look forward to what the new venue has to offer.

Thank you Countyline Dragway and everyone involved for all the memories.

Countyline Dragway
(2007 - 2014)​

Awesome words Ben

Just want to say thanks to everyone who has helped put on these events over the years including Tim, Chris Jackson, and Ben. I have so many great memories at Countyline from the time spent getting cars ready to head out that weekend to doing hood rat stuff at the track. I remember when all I used to look forward to was heading out to Countyline it definitely kept me off the streets and on the track.

I really hope they find another location soon as the south Florida area desperately needs a venue to keep the kids off the streets both drag racers and drifters.

Thanks Ben, Tim and Chris for helping organize these events at Countyline. Skidpad wasn't a impressive drift track but somehow it was always exciting to be there. Hopefully Tony will be able to find a venue soon with an even better track to slide at :)

All good things come to an end. I wanted to thank Ben for being there with me every step of the way. Im sure bigger and better things are on the way.

Thank you Tim, Ben, and Chris Jackson for holding events there. Without Countyline, this scene we have now would be nothing and void.

This is a sad day indeed, but drifting will never stop it's still growing much like other motorsports it takes time and dedication between both drivers, sponsors, and community. Long Live Florida Drifting
Also if county line finds a new venue it might be even greater.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom