heres my dilemma

s14fbs

Spectator
so the other day i went to drop my motor in my car (ka-t) so i go to bolt the clutch up to my jim wolf flywheel and i get to the last bolt with my torque wrench and the metal pulled right out the flywheel there are no threads left at all
and before you say anything no i dident over torque them the flywheel has just been on and off some many motors it finally gave out

i really dont have the money to get an new flywheel and the money i would pay to get a stock one i can hopefully fix mine

but i was just wondering if it would be safe to just have somebody weld the hole drill and retapp it out some people say the weld is stronger then the metal itself but idk much about materials

well for a helicoil you need to make the hole bigger than what it was originally so that you can apply the helicoil that would make it back to the original pitch and threading

Last edited by a moderator:
another thought. iv seen this alot due to the short bolts meant for steel flywheel. most alum flywheel are tapped all the through so get a 3/4in (length) same size and pitch bolt and catch all the threads in the back and you might be good. If not than helicoil is your 2nd option.

another thought. iv seen this alot due to the short bolts meant for steel flywheel. most alum flywheel are tapped all the through so get a 3/4in (length) same size and pitch bolt and catch all the threads in the back and you might be good. If not than helicoil is your 2nd option.

+1, before you do this chase it to clean the threads, how many threads came out when u removed the bolt???

santacruz-V8-juice.jpg

wouldn't there be some kind of balancing issue if your putting in different materials like a helicoil? at the very least get it balanced afterwards. i'm not sure about this, but i've heard that if your flywheel/clutch assy is unbalanced the vibrations can cause some serious damage to the engine. i'd say why risk it? get a stock one

v8 lol charlie i ment are there still threads towards the rear back of the flywheel

nah the holes very shallow and doesn't go all the way threw like if i take the clutch off and just try to put the bolt in i get nothing

and as for balancing all im doing is adding the threads (weight) back in with hellicoil like the difference would be the same if not very very minimal i highly highly dought it would fuck with it in any way

Back
Top Bottom