How GoPro's Will Change the Look of the 2013 Formula Drift Season

Wrecked Magazine

rhys-millen-dai-yoshihara-go-pro-620x413.jpg

Let’s start off with the good news is that Formula Drift has banned all exterior mounted cameras for the Saturday of Formula Drift for the 2013 season with the obvious exception of Formula Drift TV. Hopefully any violators will have their cameras auctioned off to the fans at the lowest price.

Sadly the rules of camera usage get quite confusing past this no exterior cameras on Saturday rule. Here is a list of when you can use a camera, when you cannot use a camera, how, when, why, and only GoPro hours. Review this before packing over the weekend media people. Hope this clears things up as we provide a full breakdown below of actions allowed and not allowed starting this weekend in Long Beach.

Thursday Practice/Open Practice
Open to all Camera Types

Formula Drift Weekend in Pits/Paddock/Car Show
Open to all Camera Types

Friday Practice/Qualifying Inside and Outside of Vehicle
Formula Drift TV and Approved Media GoPro cameras only

Saturday Practice/Top 32/Main Event Inside of Vehicle
Formula Drift TV and Approved Media GoPro cameras only

Saturday Top 32/Main Event Outside of Vehicle
Formula Drift TV Only

More...

good, the pic tells u how ridiculous it looks and its probably annoying drifting with 3000$ in camreas on ur car..

i think it sucks. most media guys have better video skills and MUCH SOONER releases than the FD TV will do. I'd rather see exterior/on car footage on the FD videos that are produced from competition battles.

Now we wont see any on car footage from those intense, and sometimes controversial moments. incar can only show so much. and personally, id hate MUCH MORE to have cameras inside than outside where I don't even notice them.

This is stupid. How about we focus on more important things. What "Good" is going to come from this anyways? Why the change?

This is stupid. How about we focus on more important things. What "Good" is going to come from this anyways? Why the change?

GoPro is the "Official" camera of FD now. I assume some sort of contract agreements were made so that GoPro would come in a series sponsor.

The only good reason could be the delay of runs with 10 camera dudes changing angles/resetting cameras/removing them from cars.

I think its a good rule, but I feel like the drivers/their team/their personal media should be able to use their own cameras whenever they want. As far as the other media guys, it sucks for those who make the really legit videos, but most of the media guys out there dont really need that footage and have plenty of time the other days to get some cool outside shots.

not someone like me lol... i need to get every angle possible lol, i wish they would atleast let us put our dslrs in the cars....

have plenty of time the other days to get some cool outside shots.

personally i like watching the competition runs over random practice runs. i like to actually see it from a perspective where you can really get a feel for whats going on. incar is so limited and doesnt show the front end/clearance and surroundings well.

its not the end of the world, but judging from past FD TV episodes, we will be missing out on most of the action.

then you buy footage from FD. most media guys sell their footage to other shooters.

as a photographer shooting FD its super annoying to see 5 + cameras on the cars.

Back
Top Bottom